Disk Volume Header
On a SGI's ARCS systems all disks (even CD) must have a IRIX volume header vh(7M) and partitions. A typical IRIX bootable volume consists of the following partitions:
- Partition 0 - Root Filesystem partition.
- Partition 1 - Swap partition.
- Partition 7 - Volume Body partition.
- Partition 8 - Volume Header partition.
- Partition 10 - Whole Disk partition.
The Volume Header partition must start at the first sector on the disk. It contains the disk label in the first sector, and a rudimentary filesystem (readable by the PROM Monitor) in the rest of the partition.