Linksys ADSL2MUE is an ADSL2/2+ capable router/modem based on the Texas Instruments AR7 architecture. Marketed in the United Kingdom, France, Australia, Germany and a few other countries not including the United States of America.
If you are looking for a modem this might not be what you are looking for. Although advertised as a modem, it is actually a router with some sort of bridging capabilities.
Based on Texas Instruments AR7 architecture it includes a few other chips on board, such as ethernet and ADSL transformers. TI does not provide with much information about the architecture and answers with a "this is for OEM eyes only" when asked for more information.
This device provides ADSL, ethernet and USB conectivity only.
- Ethernet: One on-chip fast ethernet 10/100 port attached to a transformer from Delta Electronics labeled LF8505 DELTA 0448W).
- USB: One USB 1.1 port.
- ADSL: One on-chip adsl port attached to an ADSL2 transformer from Linkcomm Manufacturing labeled LAL0671 LINKCOM 0450. Advertised explicitly as AR7 compatible.
- On-board RAM memory: One chip of synchronous SDRAM formatted as 1Mx32x4bank module makeing up 128Mbit (16Mbytes) of RAM space. Manufactured by Glink and labeled as GLT51280L16-6TC 412 9P3030902.
- On-board Flash memory: Four MBytes of memory on a single chip from Macronix Incorporated. Its part numbers is MX29LV320ABTC-90G and the chip is labeled as MX E042469 29LV320ABTC-90G 2K085800A1 TAIWAN.
- Microcontroller: Texas Instruments AR7RD labeled TNETD7300AGDW 49ZND69 with uilt-in ADSL and Ethernet interfaces.
Further info from software commands
cli> product-info GLOBAL: Product Info command Product Information: ---------------------- Model Number: AR7RD HW Revision: Unknown Serial Number: none USB PID: 0x000f USB VID: 0x13b1 Ethernet MAC: N/A DSL MAC: N/A USB MAC: N/A USB Host MAC: N/A Software Versions: ------------------ Gateway: 3.5.0 ATM Driver: 4.02.11.00 DSL HAL: 3.01.02.00 DSL Datapump: 3.01.02.00 Annex A SAR HAL: 01.07.02 PDSP Firmware: 0.49 Boot loader: 18.104.22.168 cli>
This firmware is based on the MontaVista Linux.
Linux version 2.4.17_mvl21-malta-mips_fp_le (firstname.lastname@example.org) (gcc version 2.95.3 20010315 (release/MontaVista)) #49 Thu Sep 9 18:13:08 EDT 2004
With the default oficial firmware this device has four modes of operation:
- Router with PPPoA over the WAN
- Router with PPPoE over the WAN
- Router with RFC1483 bridged over the WAN
- Bridge with RFC1483 bridged over the WAN
All three router modes NAT support is fair enough for outgoing purposes but will not let you do any port forwarding to the inside.
The only modem capabilities the device shows is called brige mode. This mode interconnects a native ethernet network or an ethernet over USB network with a RFC1484 bridge mode network (ethernet switched over ATM/ADSL).