[Top] [All Lists]

Re: Direct I/O bug in kernel

To: Hillf Danton <>
Subject: Re: Direct I/O bug in kernel
From: Victor Meyerson <>
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2012 13:53:14 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: "" <>, Ralf Baechle <>, LKML <>
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed;; s=s1024; t=1344545594; bh=Q2LT4jNAVGyjUu607cWwWq6MeQED+Shi4TsqGntFB+I=; h=X-YMail-OSG:Received:X-Mailer:References:Message-ID:Date:From:Reply-To:Subject:To:Cc:In-Reply-To:MIME-Version:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=rATsRjnI4en1DLPRHBtEUYHVcRrUVZ69UmG7pHcXMPFXPBhaQ7YPpCAzjM8L+bbWVhBjYNF+nkdS/KTjKJqqv4IWSfyfgW8XBKBFPb7SXuqOLE4ZJR/qgIZTekCa7QZrGEx5vl5UY2VfjwD5VxuowyeKMH3pjiBo6cnffFD7P2Q=
Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws; s=s1024;; h=X-YMail-OSG:Received:X-Mailer:References:Message-ID:Date:From:Reply-To:Subject:To:Cc:In-Reply-To:MIME-Version:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=4l2ZX0LZva2/d6OskB482quICLrqrfYigEajdxhQ4T7ltOcnfbnluvu+IF9TATbeBft4wzjWWU8lTWqyI1Ss6DGiQ9u9Uwer+6r1ao6vGfUkBIBq0n3NBMWaLMgmcACHGO8wpRSa2470GkqaHjbPbZE+Hzb/b/rb3l8anufjyx0=;
In-reply-to: <>
List-archive: <>
List-help: <>
List-id: linux-mips <>
List-owner: <>
List-post: <>
List-software: Ecartis version 1.0.0
List-subscribe: <>
List-unsubscribe: <>
References: <> <> <> <>
Reply-to: Victor Meyerson <>
----- Original Message -----

> From: Hillf Danton <>
> To: Victor Meyerson <>
> Cc: "" <>; Ralf Baechle 
> <>; LKML <>
> Sent: Friday, July 27, 2012 7:47 AM
> Subject: Re: Direct I/O bug in kernel
> On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 1:28 AM, Victor Meyerson
> <> wrote:
>>  Still different checksums and I used the same random-file from my first 
> test.
> Then try the fix at

I tried that patch, although I had to edit a slightly different line as 
dio_bio_alloc was near line 392 instead of 349 in the version of fs/direct-io.c 
in my tree.  I still got different checksums between the two files and even 
different checksums from my earlier attempts.

I am not sure if this helps, but Ralf asked if I can try a different page size 
to see if this problem occurs.  I originally had CONFIG_PAGE_SIZE_4KB=y and 
changed it to CONFIG_PAGE_SIZE_16KB=y (via menuconfig).  Having a page size of 
16KB (and the above patch not applied) made the checksum on the files match 
each other and match the file made from the working kernel.


<Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread>