Re: possible bug in net/tc35815.c in linux-2.6.19

Subject: Re: possible bug in net/tc35815.c in linux-2.6.19
From: Atsushi Nemoto <>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 20:05:54 +0900 (JST)
Cc:,,,,,, Sergei Shtylyov <>
On Mon, 26 Feb 2007 10:26:59 +0000, Ralf Baechle <> wrote:
> > I created my own patch for this (and one other bug), and checked it in.
> >
> > Really, though, someone in MIPS-land should give this driver some loving
> > care.  It is filled with bugs and 2.4-era anachronisms.
> Took a look at it.  It's sort of a non-bug because the driver cannot be
> compiled as module, so the module_exit function cannot possibly be
> executed.  The board support code is calling into the driver which makes
> it impossible to build this driver as a module, yet it's possible to
> select building this driver as a module ...  Oh yeah, that root_tc35815_dev
> stuff is also pretty ugly.

Yes, the driver is quite obsoleted.  It was added long ago with
arch/mips/jmr3927 and not maintained long time, as like as the board

I know both MontaVista and CELF have new driver for the chip.  If
anybody in MontaVista did not complain I can send CELF's one available
at  (it
needs some changes for recent kernel, for example pt_regs removal, but
it would be easy).

Atsushi Nemoto