Re: User applications

To: Michael Shmulevich <>
Subject: Re: User applications
From: Geert Uytterhoeven <>
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2001 13:15:47 +0100 (MET)
Cc: "Maciej W. Rozycki" <>,
On Tue, 9 Jan 2001, Michael Shmulevich wrote:
> As a side question, I would like to to know why exactly the CPU cache
> operations
> are
> promoted to the syscall status? What is the situation that a user in its
> program
> would like
> to call cacheflush() ? Unless, of course, he is doing DoS.
> I can understand why we need this in kernel, for context switch, for example,
> but
> as a syscall?...

For trampolines. These are small pieces of code created on the stack, and
require flushing of the caches before they are excuted.

Geert Uytterhoeven ------------- Sony Software Development Center Europe (SDCE) ------------------- Sint-Stevens-Woluwestraat 55
Voice +32-2-7248626 Fax +32-2-7262686 ---------------- B-1130 Brussels, Belgium