|| Top 10 reasons why ACTA is bad:
- Was created in secrecy and kept opaque, despite many requests for release. This violates the principle of an open and transparent democracy.
- Advocates censorship on the internet and attempts to quash the concept of free media and information.
- Makes it illegal to link to any site that breaches copyright law, making it nearly impossible to maintain openly editable sites such as Wikipedia or this wiki.
- Holds ISPs to ransom by imposing severe financial and legal penalties if their customers break copyright law.
- Forces ISPs to violate the privacy of their customers and store logs of their online activity, without warrant or probable cause - tantamount to online wiretapping.
- Uses vague language which can be twisted to serve the agendas of individual cases.
- Puts control of such measures into a single "ACTA committee", which has the power to make legal decisions without vote or consultation of member states.
- Allows the ACTA committee to modify the bill as they please, without vote. Essentially hands them a blank cheque with which they can write their own laws.
- Does not impose any real regulation on sanctions, penalties or legal decisions. This makes the system open to corruption.
- Stifles creativity and innovation using scare tactics, maintaining a status quo of large organisations that control particular markets.
This affects linux-mips.org's wiki directly which is why a normally purely technical, unpolitical site like linux-mips.org has such a call for action. Act now: act-on-acta.eu, Act Against ACTA on Facebook, How to act against ACTA, more that YOU can do.
Here's a law processor Michael Geist's rant about ACTA, an analysis of Acta.