New conatct with DEC

To: riscy@sunsite.unc.edu, william.blundell@rto.mts.dec.com (Bill Blundell)
Subject: New conatct with DEC
From: Amos Shapira <amoss@cs.huji.ac.il>
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 1994 21:36:22 +0200
Sender: amoss@CS.HUJI.AC.IL
Hello,

A couple of days ago I went to a TOEM (Technical OEM) presentation day
about the DEC Alpha family. I went there mainly to get a contact point
within DEC since as far as I understand the situation now we are
waiting for more info.

Bill presented an option of an Alpha-based board with PCI, ISA, 4Mb
(21066-based), slots and such in just 500US$ (NO glue needed, at least
that's that they stressed through all presentations).  It didn't
contain disk controllers or such but I got the impression that in less
than another 500US$ you can complete this (sorry, don't have the
transperansis here for details).

It also seems that it is possible to buy everything you need to build
this board (or any other combination, it was just one concrete
suggestion) directly from Digital.

This basic board have SPEC marks of about 2.5 times a 486-66MHz, more
than enough for me.  (Just to remind people that many participants are
here for the price and this seems to answer that criteria very well).

I also got a couple of extra copies of the material we recieved there
so I can snail-mail them to those of the hardware people here who are
interested.

I hope that Bill might solve the un-answered issues raised on the list
so far and help get things going.

Now to some technicalities:

It is possible that I'll loose my network access next Sunday (there is
a possibility that all the universities in Israel will close down then
due to a lecturers' strike) so here is are my address and telephones:

Amos Shapira
133 Shlomo Ben Yosef st.
Jerusalem 93 805
Israel

Home phone: +972-2-722756
Work phone: +972-3-5131371 (also a voice mailbox)
Work Fax:   +972-3-5131309

I fly to Australia on April 19th so there won't be any point to try to
contact me after that for quite a while (hopefully months :)

I hope that this contact (and/or others) will let us get things moving
(whether we take the Alpha approach, which sounds very attractive to
me, or not).

Good luck to all of us,

--Amos

--Amos Shapira (Jumper Extraordinaire) | "War does not determine who is right,
amoss@cs.huji.ac.il                    |  but who is left"

                                       |          -- Anonymous?

P.S. Bill: the address of the mailing list is indeed as I remembered:
     riscy@sunsite.unc.edu.                          Bye.