Re: Archive site

To: riscy@sunsite.unc.edu
Subject: Re: Archive site
From: Cover Thief <af4@ukc.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 94 14:15:42 GMT
tthorn <@hof.daimi.aau.dk:tthorn@hof> writes:
>I'm a little confused as to what is included on the EB66. For the
>Product Brief:
>
> "PC local bus interface running at 25 to 33 MHz is brought out to
>  one dedicated onboard PCI expansion slot for additional I/O devices.
>  A second PCI slot is shared with the ISA bus. Connects to the
>  following onboard PCI ships:
>            ^^^^^^^
>   - SCSI controller
>   - Ethernet controller
>   - PCI to ISA bridge"
>
>So, SCSI and Ethernet is onboard.(?)

Yes, and very nice controllers they are too.

> "Frame buffer connector (2) physically in line with one ISA expansion
>  slot provides a basis for a high-speed video frame buffer design."
>
>So, full video is not onboard, but requires some unspecified
>(undeveloped?) ISA video card.

The on-board video support is minimal. The CPU memory controller does
however provide a mechanism for loading the shift register of a bank
of video memories (VRAMs). A dumb frame buffer would require a modest
amount of timing logic (to tell the memory controller when to load the
VRAM shift register), a RAMDAC and the VRAMs themselves.

The other alternative is to plug in a PCI video card.

Andy.