Re: 21066 evaluation board summary

To: af4@ukc.ac.uk
Subject: Re: 21066 evaluation board summary
From: pat@wesson.it.com.au (Pat Mackinlay)
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 1994 14:57:56 +0800 (WST)
Cc: riscy@sunsite.unc.edu

> It seems logical that the video port provides connections for the CPU's
> built-in video hardware, so it should be easy to cook up a VRAM + RAMDAC
> to plug in.

I'm still unsure as to exactly what's going on here. As far as I know,
the 21066/68 do *not* have onboard video sync or signal generation. From
what I've read, the "video support" is essentially some bit twiddling
(packing and rotation) to make access to a framebuffer faster.

The other point I'm a little worried about is the fact that these chips
want ECC on their memory. If it's a 32 bit memory + 8 bit ECC, doesn't
that mean we need "special" SIMMs, rather than the more common 36 bit
PC SIMMs? Perhaps I'm wrong here also and there is extra ECC memory
configured into the system (not necessarily in the SIMMs)?

Can someone who has information please tell us exactly what the story is?

--
pat -- empty space is wasted space.