21066 evaluation board summary

To: riscy@sunsite.unc.edu
Subject: 21066 evaluation board summary
From: Bill Broadley <broadley@neurocog.lrdc.pitt.edu>
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 1994 01:04:21 -0500 (EST)
Okay I went closely over the parts lists.  I can field any parts
questions not answered by the documentation.  I'll post details on the
evaluation board and the 21066 next.

Here are my observations (sorry nothing mailed out yet).

First:
        Only 2 PCI slots.
        Can't kill ISA without major redesign.
        NO VIDEO
        L2 cache 256 k looks like the minimum setup. Worst case $85.00

Second:
        It looks like we need the "EB66 Supporting Documentation and
        Software tools to make this pratical."

Somebody mentioned either to the list or private email that their company
is considering buying the EB66 board.  If they did that and we could get
a copy of the online documentation, cad files, PAL source code etc
we would have a chance.   Getting this online stuff seems to be the FIRST
step.  This could also save me a substantial post office bill ;-)

Without it even if we managed to turn the 45 pages of schematic into a working
motherboard getting it to boot and make use of the PAL code without
source/documentation would probably be impossible.

But on the otherhand if we do get the documentation I believe the board
will run OSF/1 and Win NT (till we get linux ported).  This could
also dramatically increase the market for the baord.

I'll ping my dec contact and see if we can get the online stuff or at
least a price for it.  Please do the same if you have any contacts.

Even a tiny bit of support from dec could make a big difference.