Re: ARC 100 Prices

To: riscy@sunsite.unc.edu
Subject: Re: ARC 100 Prices
From: Andreas Busse <andy@waldorf-gmbh.de>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 94 09:40:41 +0100
Hi everybody,

thanks for the votes. Although there weren't much of them
it's enough for me to understand that the ARC design isn't
of much interest.
I DO understand that most or nearly all members of the
list cannot afford $2000 or the like. Ok, that's your
problem :-)
My problem is that I can't offer the board for less money.
Someone asked if skipping EISA would save money - yes it will,
but it won't reduce the price by 50%.
Another problem is that Waldorf has no time to do two re-designs,
one for our own purposes, one for riscy. Even if we had, we
would come into the same loop - you'll ask me why a dump ISA
board costs us$xxx. You can't buy a board for $500 if the CPU
plus bus controller chipset is $800. Prices will change, but
this will take a while.

Some time ago the group decided to wait for R4000 instead
of using old-fashioned R30xx derivates. I did not mind. Now we
have a R4000 design, surely not the best (fastest) one available,
and perhaps not the cheapest one, but we can have it.
Any alternative in sight ? NO. Correct me if I'm wrong, please.

What do we do now ? Tell me. I can only say: Waldorf will
buy this design, no matter how riscy decides to go on (or stop).

Don't get me wrong: I would LIKE to offer a complete board
incl. CPU/SCSI/VIDEO/SERIAL and so on for $1000. But I can't.

However, whatever the group decides to do now, I'll support
it if I can.

Cheers,