Re: ARC 100 Prices

To: riscy@sunsite.unc.edu
Subject: Re: ARC 100 Prices
From: Bill Broadley <broadley@neurocog.lrdc.pitt.edu>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 1994 22:49:07 -0500 (EST)
> > Motherboard w/o RAM and CPU,                DM  2000.-- / us$1185.--
> > incl. SCSI, serial/parallel,
> > FDC, Ethernet, EISA Ctrl. etc.

This is to much for me.  Where does the cost come from?  SCSI seems cheap,
serial seems cheap.

A rough break down would help play the price/performance gain.

If enough people support it I wish you the best of luck, for me I'll either
have to not go riscy or go for less ambitious motherboard.

Would dropping the EISA/bus completely make a big difference?  Switching
to ISA?

Are any other chipsets/cheaper in contention?  The sgi reference designs?

Changing the memory interface from 128 to 64?  to 32?

--
Bill Broadley@{neurocog,schneider3,lrdc5}.lrdc.pitt.edu (in order of preference)