Re: Other options

To: riscy@sunsite.unc.edu
Subject: Re: Other options
From: Yanni Jew <yanni@db.toronto.edu>
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 1993 23:07:25 -0500
> I was talking to Vince Cate (Vincent.Cate@cs.cmu.edu) and he made
> the following suggestions:
>
> >Shannon Computers (603) 875-3800 has a generic PCI-based motherboard
> >design which replaces a standard PC-AT motherboard and accepts PCI
> >CPU-cards.  It can work with any processor.  To start with there will be
> >PowerPC, Alpha, MIPS, x86, and M1 (guess Pentium too).
[etc.]

I like the idea very much. It's similar to what I had
in mind, before I joined this mailing list.

I started out at the beginning of the year wanting to
put a micro-SPARC on an ISA bus as a coprocessor.
It's now the end of the year, and I've decided that
micro-SPARC (even at 70Mhz) would not give much
cpu-power for the effort involved. SuperSPARC is too
expensive, and probably would not have much cpu-power.

The ISA and EISA bus does not have enough bandwidth,
and VESA may be doable. My plan was to wait for PCI
boards to come down in price, and then try adding an
inexpensive/fast cpu (eg. R4200).

Will the motherboard allow an x86 cpu to co-exist
with another cpu ? If it's possible then an inexpensive
386 cpu could be used to run Linux, then the OS for
the R4200 could be developed more easily. (The final
configuration might even use the 386 running Linux
to handle all the I/O, and the R4200 would provide
the compute power).

yanni@db.toronto.edu