Memory bandwidth/board

To: riscy@sunsite.unc.edu
Subject: Memory bandwidth/board
From: Bill Broadley <broadley@neurocog.lrdc.pitt.edu>
Date: Sat, 4 Dec 1993 03:58:59 -0500 (EST)

The motherboard post mentions 84MB/sec read, 104 MB/sec write bandwidth I
assume this is for the 50 Mhz motherboard?

So if we go with the 4200 we would be at 40 Mhz or 67.2/83.2 Mb/sec??
Or would the bandwidth stay the same?

SGI claimes 267 Mb/sec but a similiar memory interface may not be cost
effective (let alone designing it.)

I wrote a memory benchmark program (membench at neurocog.lrdc.pitt.edu
~ftp/pub) and was wondering what it would report on a SGI mips 4000 system.
Any takers out there?

Alpha 133 Mhz gets 80 Mb/sec
Hp 735 99 Mhz gets 85 Mb/sec
486dx2 66 Mhz gets 16 Mb/sec

So obviously 67/83 would be very competitive.  I'm still very curious
if the SGI's would score 267 though.

The above is just because I'm curious, the motherboard looks great, of
course I'm dying for details.

Which Bus? Which video chip? Which scsi chip? Which simms? Interleaved?

Guess I'll have to be patient.

Anyone with any ties at SGI?  I've heard a fair amount about the announced
reference designs, which sounds like a updated designs for the 4200.

Best of luck I hope this pulls together.

--
Bill Broadley@{neurocog,schneider3,lrdc5}.lrdc.pitt.edu (in order of preference)