Compatibility with Mips Magnum 4000 products

To: riscy@sunsite.unc.edu
Subject: Compatibility with Mips Magnum 4000 products
From: Daniel.Veillard@imag.fr (Daniel Veillard)
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 93 11:52:54 +0100
--------

  hello mipser,

 from all I've read concerning the riscWS/EISA chipset we
plan to use, and information I got from the net, it seems that
the future board will be very similar to the Magnum 4000 machine:

  - same chipset, same kind of processor
  - at least same kind of SCSI chip if we stay with NCR 53cf94
  - maybe other devices are implemented the same way (floppy,
    Ethernet, serial, video). We don't have Mips Magnum here
    so I can't check. Can someone check for these points.

 This kind of compatibility may be interesting for a fast
port of Linux if we were able to get access to the source of other
operating system for the Magnum (may help for Device drivers
and interface with CPU/MMU). I have also heard that Plan 9
distributed operating system have been ported to the Magnum R4000
and that free source licence is available for Universities.
Getting sources of other OS running on Misp Magnum 4000 may help
developping Linux and that's something we can do before the board
is available.

 Furthermore, staying compatible with the Magnum products may be
a good way to offer binary compatibility and run commercial products
on Linux.

  - Am I completely wrong ?
  - Is there any other sources available publicly which may
help porting Linux ?
  - Any comments ?

Daniel

Daniel Veillard :                | Bull-IMAG Systems
E-mail : Daniel.Veillard@imag.fr | Centre Equation
Tel : (33) 76 63 48 53           | 2 ave. de Vignates
Fax : (33) 76 54 76 15           | 38610 GIERES FRANCE