Re: Ballpark cost for MIPS board?

To: riscy@sunsite.unc.edu
Subject: Re: Ballpark cost for MIPS board?
From: Andreas Busse <andy@waldorf-gmbh.de>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 93 10:13:26 +0100
> I've been folowing the discussion for a couple of months now and would very
> much like to know if there is a current target price for the board?
>
> The capabilities of the design recently posted look very good, but I'd like
> some sort of idea of what everyone expects to pay to get one of these (I
> know - if you have to ask, you can't afford it).

I can't tell you at the moment.
All I can say is (this hasn't changed) that Waldorf will not
produce the board to make profit. That means that the board
will be less expensive than every other R4000 board you can buy,
but I don't know *how* cheap.
Since we are licensing a design from a company which is interested
to see their licensees making profit (no other way to make
the mips architecture interesting) we will have to make a
special deal with the riscy members, a kind of "developer agreement".

Cheers,

        Waldorf Electronics GmbH        | Phone:  +49 (0)2636-80294
              R&D Department            | Fax:    +49 (0)2636-80188
Neustrasse 9-12, 53498 Waldorf, Germany | email:  andy@waldorf-gmbh.de