Re: PING...

To: tthorn@daimi.aau.dk
Subject: Re: PING...
From: Andreas Busse <andy@waldorf-gmbh.de>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 93 12:21:01 +0100
Cc: riscy@sunsite.unc.edu
> I assume people, like me, are holding their breath waiting.
> The news from COMDEX sounds very promissing. I hope our design
> won't differ to much from what others are doing, 'course I'd
> would simply *love* to buy a r4200 based notebook in some future.

Well, I just had the feeling that I was removed from the list :-)

A few minutes ago I sent a reminder to the guy at MTI. I hope
I'll get some specs these days.
I don't expect the riscWS/EISA to be very different to other
designs since it is ARC (Advanced Risc Computing) compliant.
Perhaps you remember: In 1991 MIPS founded the ACE initiative
whose goal was to build R4xxx boards on which RiscOS (Mips-Unix),
SCO ODT and Windows NT should run. Well, ACE is down the tubes
but Windows NT is still there (better: coming now).

> Just to comment a *very* **very** old discussion on endian:
> It seems, contrary to what was said at some point, that we actually
> *can* switch endian more-or-less on the fly.

Yes and no. When I remember right, switching on the fly has
some disadvantages, but together with the board design comes
a config disk which lets you select between big- (RiscOS, Irix)
and little (Windows NT) endian.

> What endian is selected at reset on motherboards targeted at Win-NT?

See above.

Cheers,

        Waldorf Electronics GmbH        | Phone:  +49 (0)2636-80294
              R&D Department            | Fax:    +49 (0)2636-80188
Neustrasse 9-12, 53498 Waldorf, Germany | email:  andy@waldorf-gmbh.de