Cache, Simms, design etc.

To: riscy@sunsite.unc.edu
Subject: Cache, Simms, design etc.
From: Bill Broadley <broadley@neurocog.lrdc.pitt.edu>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 1993 13:47:04 -0500 (EST)
I pinged a ram vendor and got the following prices:
        4 MB x 9 bit 70 ns $128 each (min order 40)
        1 MB x 35 bit 70 ns $149 each

If anyone actually wants to use ramtron simms they should post a price on
50 pieces or so.

Anyone have a contact at mips to find out about the announced reference
designs?  I suspect that they include a L2 cache which makes alot of
the recent discussion irrelevant.  The specnumbers for the 4200
were reached with a cheap 486'ish 256k cache.

I want a fast box as much as the next guy but we should plan very minor
modifications to any design that the group purchases.   If we
can't find a design with an L2 cache we should just do the best
we can without one.

BTW I'm all for Eric's development of the NCR scsi board, but I'm not
in the position to guarentee that his work will be used can we
reach a concensus??  Or at least Andy's support???

--
Bill                                    1st>    Broadley@neurocog.lrdc.pitt.edu
Broadley@schneider3.lrdc.pitt.edu <2nd  3rd>                 Broadley+@pitt.edu