To: riscy@sunsite.unc.edu
Subject: X-Listprocessor-Version: 6.0a -- ListProcessor by Anastasios Kotsikonas
From: wolff@dutecai.et.tudelft.nl (Rogier Wolff)
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 93 10:22:47 +0100
Message 28/28  From riscy@sunsite.unc.edu           Nov 19, 93 04:07:42 am -0500

Date: Fri, 19 Nov 1993 04:07:42 -0500
Sender: riscy@sunsite.unc.edu
To: wolff@dutecai.et.tudelft.nl
Subject: Error Condition Re: Re: Texas Inst. Video Interface Palette chip

wolff@liberator.et.tudelft.nl: You are not subscribed to riscy@sunsite.unc.edu.
Your message is returned to you unprocessed. If you want to subscribe,
send mail to listserv@sunsite.unc.edu with the following request:

                subscribe RISCY Your Name

In addition, the system found the following address(es) that resemble yours.
If one of these is you, please resend your message from that one, or use the
'set <list> address' request to change the address you are subscribed with:

WOLFF@DUTECAI.ET.TUDELFT.NL

>  The TVP3020 Video Interface Palette (VIP) can display 24-bit true color (16
>  million colors) at a resolution of 1024 x 768 and 16-bit true color (65,000
>  colors) at resolutions up to 1600 x 1280.

Jeeez.  If you want to advertize "High End" then you need to support more
than 1024x768 at 24 bits per pixel. To me "High End" is at least 1280x1024,
even at 24 bits per pixel. You don't even need more than 4Mb RAM to
pull this off....

According to SGS Thompson info I have at 1600x1280@70Hz, you need a video
bandwidth of 1.3 * 1600 * 1280 * 70 = 186Mhz. With three bytes per pixel
you need 560 Mb per second of video data. At 8 bytes per transfer you
get a 70Mhz transfer rate of video data. This is slightly tricky, but
not unusual for high end systems.

                                                Roger.