Re: riscy status?

To: riscy@sunsite.unc.edu
Subject: Re: riscy status?
From: Drew Eckhardt <drew@kinglear.cs.Colorado.EDU>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 1993 00:05:30 -0700
    The list has been dead for sometime. Would anybody care to summarise on
    what chips (if any) we have definitely decided on? Decisions need to be
    made if we are ever to get out of the vapourware phase...

About a month ago, I posted to the list, said that I didn't have very
much going on and that if people committed to a NCR53cf94 semi-intelligent,
slave mode DMA FAST SCSI-II chip, I'd build an ISA protoboard and get a
stable driver.

No one would commit to the 53cf94 even though no better alternative
had been proposed and the price and complexity difference between it
and NCR busmasters is significant (the later is a microcontroller,
meaning you have to write an assembler for it and debugging is
nastier, the 53c700/800 series are also closer to $60 in the
same quantities that the NCR53cf94 is $25, and you won't get any
better throughput with the increased costs).

And we don't have any commitments on any other chips.

Here's a forward of a summary Bill mailed out a little while ago :

I/O
MISC:
SMC FDC37c666 2.88 MB floppy controller, 2 16550's, bi directional parallel,
IDE                                             $23.00 qty 26

SCSI:
NCR 53cf90/53cf94 fast SCSI II 68 leads 0.910" square for $18.60 in qnty 50-99

VLSI VL82C114 Real time clock, nvram, keyboard, refresh counter, and ISA
address buffer. 8 UKP qty 24-99

VIDEO:
A dumb frame buffer would probably work out well (given the wide bandwidth,
high speed cpu). The arc chipset provides for a 64 bit bus to video.

1 MB vram                                       $60
1 TI tlc34076 RAMDAC                            $32
1 NSC LM1882 Video sync generator               $ 8