Re: Comdex: 4200's

To: riscy@sunsite.unc.edu
Subject: Re: Comdex: 4200's
From: Drew Eckhardt <drew@kinglear.cs.Colorado.EDU>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 1993 20:48:53 -0700
    Well, these 4200's seem to be quite good, but let's look at
    expansion potential, as we don't want to pull a "PC".  If
    the 4200 is expected to be a resonable public archietecture
    with a future, which it seems to be, then we should use it,
    but we should put more into infrastructure.  The spec I have
    seen of the goal board should imho havve eisa, at least

We've discussed this before :

1.  The 4200 is available in a R4000PC compatable 179 pin PGA
        package as well as a surface mount package.

        If you go with the 179 pin PGA, you have an immediate,
        plug-compatable upgrade path to the R4000PC (100Mhz,
        8KI, 8KD), or R4400PC (100 or 150Mhz, 16KI, 16KD)

        (Note : you have to also change the serially downloaded
        boot information determining memory interface speed and
        access patterns as well as the clock crystal)

2.  There's nothing stopping you from making a daughter card with
        the 179pin PGA connector on the bottom - AMD does this to
        get their surface mount 386DX chips into normal 386 PGA
        sockets, HP did it on some of their 68k workstations to
        allow for either 68040 or 68030+68882 boxes, etc.

        With a daughter card like this, you can use 4200 surface
        mount chips, 4000/4400 MC/SC chips with the 128 bit
        interface to second level cache, etc.

3.  The IDT Orion should ship some time in a 179 pin PGA package.

In other words : there is no upgrade problem with a 4200.