Re: Texas Inst. Video Interface Palette chip

To: riscy@sunsite.unc.edu
Subject: Re: Texas Inst. Video Interface Palette chip
From: kent@tifsim.pac.sc.ti.com (Russell Kent)
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 93 16:28:17 CST
Gerd Truschinski replies to my posting:
> > According to the T.I. semiconductor product information center, recommended
> > unit pricing in 1,000s is:
> >
> >     135MHz  US$31.25
> >     175MHz     56.25
> >     200MHz     83.75
> >
> That is all about the TVP3020, isn't it. What is it good for us? I don't
> see the point. Please help me.
>
> /gT/

Well, maybe it doesn't.  I'm just a software person.

Earlier discussions had talked about using a TI 34076 RAMDAC coupled with
a NSC LM1882 video sync generator plus VRAM and interface circuitry to
generate video.  The TVP3020 hype said:

    By integrating the functions of a traditional color palette, plus
    several discrete chips such as buffer logic and multiplexers, the
    TVP3020 offers a complete graphics back-end system on a chip which
    can directly interface to 4 mega bytes of video random access
    memory (VRAM) as well as many industry-standard graphics
    accelerators.

I took them at their word (foolish me?).  I thought that the TVP3020
would eliminate the all the other gook, plus it has a 64-bit wide
interface which I thought the R4200 had also (possibly eliminating
bus-width matching circuitry).

So, educate me.  If this is *not* what the TVP is, then what is it?

Russell
--
Texas Instruments                   rkent@lobby.ti.com   -or-
PO Box 655012  M/S 3624             kent@tifsim.pac.sc.ti.com