Re: riscy status

To: riscy@sunsite.unc.edu (project riscy)
Subject: Re: riscy status
From: ronald@osf.uci.kun.nl (Ronald Schalk)
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 1993 10:58:42 +0100 (MET)
> The 4200 is 55 specint 30 specfp, is sampling now, is pin compatible.
>
> I think unless we want to design our own mothebroard AND wait till
> next summer the 4200 is the way to go.

I completely agree, the 4200 will be the chip in the next-generation
Nintendo games. I heard this from the technical director from MIPS Europe
himself. This means that the chip will be dirt-cheap in the future.
Well 80 bucks is IMHO already very cheap.

> If ya want to upgrade the pc get the 4400 or 4000 pin compatible upgrade.

On a sideline: how difficult will it be to make some kind of daughtercard?
Dec just announced such a beast, it'll work with 486,586 (oh sorry pentium)
and (in the future) Alpha. I don't know what's on the daughtercard, but I
guess the cache and bios is on it, and of course some glue.

Ronald

* ing. Ronald Schalk, afdeling CS, sectie COOS                     *
* Universitair Centrum Informatievoorziening (UCI)                 *
* University of Nijmegen (KUN)    snailmail: Geert Grooteplein 41  *
* e-mail : R.Schalk@uci.kun.nl               6525 GA Nijmegen      *
* tel: +31 80 617997 fax: +31 80 617979      The Netherlands       *