Dead? Mips info.

To: riscy@sunsite.unc.edu
Subject: Dead? Mips info.
From: Bill Broadley <broadley@neurocog.lrdc.pitt.edu>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 1993 16:08:50 -0500 (EST)
Hello there any progress??  Is riscy dead?  I certainly hope not!
The computer world is moving forward and I'm doing my best not to spend
another penny on my x86 system, so I can afford a riscy board.

Sunsite apparently has the list misconfigured for awhile after they patched
the sendmail bug, hopefully this should be fixed now.

Anyways sgigate.sgi.com has opened for ftp a bunch of informative docs
on the 4000, 4200, 4400, and TFP chips, all under /pub/docs I believe.

I read up on the 4200 seems like an ideal chip for us:

55 specint 30 specfp (about twice 486-66).
Pin compatible with 4000 PC
16k/8K (I/D) cache direct mapped (can read both per cycle at 64 bits wide)
5 stage pipeline (vs 4[04]00 8 stage)
Lots of neat low power stuff (1.5 watts at 80 Mhz, .4 w at 20Mhz, 0 at 0 Mhz)
no L2 support (I wonder if the spec numbers are for a cacheless machine)

I hear they are sampling now at under $100.

If you want all the nitty gritty details grab the file R4200_Prod_Overview.ps.

BTW I've seen VERY few msg's since the list moved to sunsite (like about
5), if thats off please let me know and I'll try to fix things.

Nothing official announced (that I know of), but I believe the 4600 will be
more expensive and have twice the fp (about the same int), seems like
the 4200 is still best for the riscy board.

--
Bill                                    1st>    Broadley@neurocog.lrdc.pitt.edu
Broadley@schneider3.lrdc.pitt.edu <2nd  3rd>                 Broadley+@pitt.edu

--JAA26791.753116189/neurocog.lrdc.pitt.edu--