R4200 price

To: riscy@sunsite.unc.edu
Subject: R4200 price
From: Miles Bader <miles@cogsci.edinburgh.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 93 14:29:12 GMT
Blat: Foop
Bill Broadley <broadley@edu.pitt.lrdc.neurocog> writes:
> We won't be able to get the 4200 at anywhere near $75 from what I heard,
> more like $250.

I guess y'all have probably seen this (I was apparently cut off the mailing
list when it moved to the new site so I haven't gotten anything for a while),
but:

machale@royalty.mti.sgi.com (James MacHale) writes in comp.arch:
> On October 18th NEC Electronics announced VR4200 samples available
> immediately. Samples were priced at approximately $80. Mass
> production scheduled for calendar Q.2 94.

How this price relates to the eventual price I don't know...

[I seem to recall hearing that the target price for the 4200
 was something absurd like $12...  Connection to reality: unknown]

-Miles

--
Miles Bader - HCRC, U of Edinburgh - miles@cogsci.ed.ac.uk, +44 31 650-4439
Is it true that nothing can be known?  If so how do we know this?  --Woody Allen