Re: progress.

To: riscy@pyramid.com
Subject: Re: progress.
From: Andreas Busse <andy@resi.waldorf-gmbh.de>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 93 09:14:47 +0200
Sender: owner-riscy@pyramid.com
> Hmmm just a ping to the list... (having network problems here).
>
> Seems like the 3 biggest choices are:
>       ARC 100/150 motherboards from NEC
>       ACER chipset
>       TIGERSHARK chipset

I'm not sure yet, but there might be a fourth choice. My friend
at SGI told me that Mips Technology is selling a complete design
for few $$$. I'm waiting for details...

> How do the people who would actually design the motherboard feel about
> buying a design (Arc) over a new design that we could distribute??
>
> Or is this a useless question till we get more info/prices on the ARC 100
> motherboard?

I any case I would prefer to start from a complete design and modify
only those parts not satisfying us (if any).

BTW: Yesterday I got some price estimations:

ACER PICA chipset: us$195 in qtys >= 1000
NEC ARC chipset  : us$200 in qtys >= 10

Today I will call ACER Netherlands for more info. I've got also
a phone number of someone at Toshiba who should know more about
the Toshiba chip set.

I'll keep you informed (sorry, I was extremely busy this week).

Cheers,

        Waldorf Electronics GmbH        | Phone:  +49 (0)2636-80294
              R&D Department            | Fax:    +49 (0)2636-80188
Neustrasse 9-12, 53498 Waldorf, Germany | email:  andy@resi.waldorf-gmbh.de