Re: r4k chipsets.

To: riscy@pyramid.com
Subject: Re: r4k chipsets.
From: Bill Broadley <broadley@neurocog.lrdc.pitt.edu>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 1993 23:59:59 -0500 (EDT)
Sender: owner-riscy@pyramid.com
>   US$65, 1k qty per set.
>   Contact Jean-Claude Toma, (714) 455-2000
>
> ATI is selling their Mach32 PCI bus chips.  Of course, we don't
> have PCI on the option list yet.  It's the 68800ax.  But
> a Mach32 would be a reasonable graphics controller.
>
>   US$55, 1k qty
>   Contact Henry Quan, (416) 756-0718

Hmmm my network connecting us to the world has been unstable.

Any prices on the ARC 150 board posted?  Are we looking for an
accelerated chip (as opposed to going with whatever the arc 100/150 has)?

A 50 Mhz 32 bit wide bus to vram should prove very quick (i.e. 8 pixels
per transfer etc).  But of course an accelerated chip will greatly
offload the cpu, bus bandwidth etc by doing bitblt's etc.

The S3 chips available for VESA ISA and EISA are the best supported of the
accelerated chipsets under X11, and I'll attempt to get some prices on them
if we are looking for a graphics cpu.  I already have pinouts/manuals, the
S3 people are very friendly with giving out information.

From what I hear the S3-928 is a nicer cpu then the ATI MACH 32.

To summarize I'll try to get information on the S3 cpu's if we want
to explore the eaccelerated video options.  Opinions???

--
Bill                                    1st>    Broadley@neurocog.lrdc.pitt.edu
Broadley@schneider3.lrdc.pitt.edu <2nd  3rd>                 Broadley+@pitt.edu