Re: MIPS Magnum 4000 parts

To: riscy@pyramid.com
Subject: Re: MIPS Magnum 4000 parts
From: wolff@zen.et.tudelft.nl (Rogier Wolff)
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 93 08:21:31 +0200
Sender: owner-riscy@pyramid.com
> The trick is that EISA and ISA are completely different, however through
> an engineering trick they managed to put the two conectors in the same place
> in such a way that there wouldn't be a motherboard realestate penalty for
> having both busses.

On second though, I can't substantiate the "completely different" part.
I just don't know. However the fact that someone has an EISA system, which
will take ISA cards doesn't mean that the ARCset supports the ISA part on
the EISA connectors.

Note that from what I've heard, a large portion of the price difference
between a simple 486 board and an EISA board comes from the EISA
connectors (i.e. they are -=* very *=- expensive).

                                        Roger.