Re: MIPS Magnum 4000 parts

To: riscy@pyramid.com
Subject: Re: MIPS Magnum 4000 parts
From: wolff@zen.et.tudelft.nl (Rogier Wolff)
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 93 08:07:27 +0200
Sender: owner-riscy@pyramid.com

        > No, it's completely incompatibel, from all 3 points of view:
        > - connector (different pin spacing)
        > - hardware  (different signals)
        > - software  (probably, don't really know)

        You need to tell that to my motherboard.  ISA boards run just fine in
EISA
        slot connectors (I know, I do it).  The pin spacing is different  in
the sense
        that there are double the number of pins and they are spaced
        vertically one above another.  I don't know all the tech details,
         but ISA boards simply make
        contact with only their required signals and do not interfere with the
added
        bus signals for EISA control.

The trick is that EISA and ISA are completely different, howevery through
an engineering trick they managed to put the two conectors in the same place
in such a way that there wouldn't be a motherboard realestate penalty for
having both busses.

                                Roger.