EISA?

To: riscy@pyramid.com
Subject: EISA?
From: Bill Broadley <broadley@neurocog.lrdc.pitt.edu>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1993 06:38:31 -0500 (EDT)
Sender: owner-riscy@pyramid.com
> You all might have noticed that the NEC chip has built-in EISA
> support. That does not mean that we have to use EISA as our bus
> system. The chip also provides a nearly complete 386 bus, so it
> shouldn't be a problem to add some ISA chips.
>
> Andy

EISA is a pretty good bus, something like 6 times the bandwidth of ISA.

Isn't it completely upward compatible from ISA (i.e. we can use it just
like a ISA bus).

I certainly wouldn't object to an EISA bus on the riscy board, and if
the ARC chips support it it's practically free.

I believe the ARC 100 manufacturing kits include plans for 3 EISA boards
Etherenet/serial, audio/mouse, and video.  Whether we we use any of those
would just be a price/performance decision.

--
Bill                                    1st>    Broadley@neurocog.lrdc.pitt.edu
Broadley@schneider3.lrdc.pitt.edu <2nd  3rd>                 Broadley+@pitt.edu