Re: Second level cache?

To: riscy@pyramid.com
Subject: Re: Second level cache?
From: rohrer@fncrd8.fnal.gov (Keith Rohrer)
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 1993 08:48:23 -0600 (CDT)
Sender: owner-riscy@pyramid.com
[as elm fries attributions]
> >     What is our cost design goal?  $2000 US?  Less?  More?
> > From what I remember, discussions on the mailing list have placed this
> > somewhere between $600 and $800 for a mainboard with dumb frame
> > buffer (using MAC VRAM SIMMs), SCSI, serial ports, parallel
> > ports, IDE, and ethernet onboard, where some unpopular
> > features (ethernet has been named as the first thing to
> > go in the base configuration) may be designed in but the
> > sockets left empty to facilitate meeting this goal.
>
> Ok, junk the IDE.  I realize that you can get cheap IDE drives, etc,
Junk IDE as built-in to the mainboard, but don't forget the ISA bus!
Unless, as is said later, the IDE-on-the-motherboard is dirt cheap,
nobody really needs it; on the other hand, for expansion, lots of
us want or need ISA...

> but SCSI is getting pretty cheap too, and fast SCSI would be pleanty fast
For me, the cost of SCSI would be the cost of replacing ~450 megabytes of
hard drive.  Not happening.  Sorry.
> for a *personal* machine.  Then again, if it only costs a cent or two,
> why not keep it in.  Make the PC dudes happy.
You mean, don't invalidate some people's current investment?

[deletia]

        Keith