Re: Second level cache?

To: riscy@pyramid.com
Subject: Re: Second level cache?
From: Andreas Busse <andy@resi.waldorf-gmbh.de>
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 93 17:19:20 +0200
Sender: owner-riscy@pyramid.com
> Somebody mentioned that some research needs to be done on how a second level
> cache will effect performance.  Any suggestions on how to do this?
>
> Based on observation it seems that a cache is worth it, SGI mips 4000 SC is
> around 35/34 and the mips 4000 PC is around 60/58 specint/specfp.

Yes, although these numbers seem to mixed-up, a secondary cache *would*
improve performance. But: Neither the R4200 nor the Orion will have
secondary cache support. We should better forget about that, otherwise
we'll try to build a high-end thing, which is probably not what we
want...

        Waldorf Electronics GmbH        | Phone:  +49 (0)2636-80294
              R&D Department            | Fax:    +49 (0)2636-80188
Neustrasse 9-12, 53498 Waldorf, Germany | email:  andy@resi.waldorf-gmbh.de