Re: Mips project Go or Wait?

To: riscy@pyramid.com
Subject: Re: Mips project Go or Wait?
From: cyberman@toz.buffalo.ny.us (Cyberman)
Date: Thu, 05 Aug 93 16:31:12 EDT
Comments:
Sender: owner-riscy@pyramid.com
Drew Eckhardt <eerie!kinglear.cs.Colorado.EDU!drew> writes:
> I don't think there will be any significant technical problems getting
> the software up.
>
> Speaking of kernel development for the MIPS : we need to start a discussion
> on how to best make the kernel sources multi-architecture, so that one
> release of Linux runs on MIPS, Intel, and Motorola platforms.
>
> The AMIGA people didn't bother to do this, so they need a different
> kernel distribution and can never take advantage of new features
> when they're added.

WELL one way to do this is too do what the people who made nethack did.
Have people submit additions and patches and let them corelate
modifications.  Also they when for system independance by using the
ussual conditional compiling.  They had one config.h for selecting the
OS options and one OS specific config.  In linux case perhaps a general
purpose config.h and a processor specific config and then a machine
specific configuration.  The only problem I've had compiling nethack
under this strategy are unimplemented system functions like stty gtty and
lock.  I hate having to work around such things (grin).

Cyberman

 "Everything is vanity ..."
"Even a fool looks wise if he keeps his mouth shut"
"A man to his own, is a person left to his own devices"
"Bewary of thinking you are always right, Hitler did"

Computer Engineer - hopeing to get employement