Re: Decision

To: riscy@pyramid.com
Subject: Re: Decision
From: Andreas Busse <andy@resi.waldorf-gmbh.de>
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 93 10:39:37 +0200
Sender: owner-riscy@pyramid.com
> IMHO we should build the ARC 100 mips 4000 PC or IDT orion.

That's what I think too.

> But then again I, as a software person,  have nothing to offer the hardware
> project in the way of expertise/services.

In case we can get that ARC design, we hopefully don't need that much
expertise and service.

> I think those that do should make a decision and go for it.  Make a decision
> and see how many of us will follow.   That means you Andy, and Neil.

It's not that simple. Waldorf is not interested to produce a board
which nobody will buy. Waldorf is not a computer manufacturer. We would
produce the riscy-board only if we see a chance that there will be a user
base large enough to support Linux for Mips. More exactly spoken:
Waldorf would produce the board to force a Linux port, not to make money.
That means that we can't decide to use a R4400/75Mhz only because it's
nice and fast. We would rather use a R4200 *although* it's not that fast
but will be accepted by the riscy group because it's cheap enough.

> Each of us has there own agenda, the design by committee doesn't seem to be
> working particlarly well.

That's unfortunally true. So I make a suggestion:

1. We skip all R3x00 solutions. No matter how good, they will be
   obsolete by end of the year.

2. We should verify the NEC ARCset solution. If everything is fine
   and it isn't vaporware, it should be our choice.
   Verifying the ARCset means:
   - get *official* statements about price and availability
   - analyze it
   - buy it

3. We can then decide which CPU to use. Either NEC R4200 or
   IDT Orion. This depends on the price/power relations as
   well as on the availability.

4. If 2. fails for whatever reasons, we have to wait.
   I'm absolutely sure that there *will* be solutions
   around the various R4x00 CPUs. If not now, then later.
   I'm sure because of the growing Windows NT market.

Can we go this way ?

        Waldorf Electronics GmbH        | Phone:  +49 (0)2636-80294
              R&D Department            | Fax:    +49 (0)2636-80188
Neustrasse 9-12, 53498 Waldorf, Germany | email:  andy@resi.waldorf-gmbh.de