Re: Mips project Go or Wait?

To: riscy@pyramid.com
Subject: Re: Mips project Go or Wait?
From: monty@info.win.tue.nl (Guido Leenders)
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 93 10:57:24 MET DST
Sender: owner-riscy@pyramid.com

> I've already started this.  I have the root source dir.  Under it is
> common/ with everything that's machine independant (filesystems, most
> syscalls, etc).  There's another tree with cpu/arch, eg, i386/isa,
> m68k/common, m68k/amiga, mips/common, mips/riscy, mips/idt and so on.
> Currently I have a i386/isa with all the obviously intel specific stuff
> in it (most things with __asm__(), dma, interrupt device drivers and so
> on), and common with everything else.  It almost compiles, but I haven't
> upgraded it to pl11.  Once it compiles, I want to try and move some
> of the more gratuitous dependancies into portable code (like the asm()
> in printf for doing a divide).

That was a great idea. I just want to make two suggestions:

1. Maybe you could contact Linus about this. You might try to
   convince him to incorporate this source tree into the official
   releases, so we don't have to catch up with new releases
   all the time.
   Of course it's not at all totally sure that this project will
   ever get done, but it's a general good thing, since maybe
   someone in the future will try to make a port to (say) Alpha.
2. Maybe you could move the common-directory, to get more object-oriented,
   e.g.
          i386  (common i386-stuff)
                 --- isa (isa-specific)
          m68k  (common 68000-stuff)