Re: Mips project Go or Wait?

To: riscy@pyramid.com
Subject: Re: Mips project Go or Wait?
From: Bill Broadley <broadley@neurocog.lrdc.pitt.edu>
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 1993 03:21:33 -0500 (EDT)
Sender: owner-riscy@pyramid.com
> Bearing in mind that 4000 based commercial machines are becoming available
> *now* at reasonable or nearly reasonable prices.  For example, a brocure
> from a company called "Tangent" turned up here selling an R4000 based
> machine (can't remember which variant) running at 100MHz, 16MB ram,
> 16k cache (cannot sure if its I+D combined or 16k each), 200MB disk, hi
> res graphics (~1000x1000x8) with 64 bit path to CPU + S3 accellerator,
> E?ISA slots, monitor and Windows NT (SVR4 port available) for $4000 US.
> That was the base machine with others up to 150MHz, more cache and memory
> and so on.  A similar machine is $10000 here, but that's predictable.
> Whether or not thay can actually deliver is another question.  Its also
> possible that they'd sell motherboards alone.

Well 16 MB ram is about $400, 340 MB IDE disk is around $298.  Sounds like
they are charging $3300 for a motherboard+video+case+monitor sounds alot
more then the planned under $1k for video+scsi+ethernet+motherboard to me.

--
Bill                                    1st>    Broadley@neurocog.lrdc.pitt.edu
Broadley@schneider3.lrdc.pitt.edu <2nd  3rd>                 Broadley+@pitt.edu