Re: Mips project Go or Wait?

To: riscy@pyramid.com
Subject: Re: Mips project Go or Wait?
From: Andreas Busse <andy@resi.waldorf-gmbh.de>
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 93 09:00:22 +0200
Sender: owner-riscy@pyramid.com
> [lots of stuff deleted]
>
> Speaking of kernel development for the MIPS : we need to start a discussion
> on how to best make the kernel sources multi-architecture, so that one
> release of Linux runs on MIPS, Intel, and Motorola platforms.
>
> The AMIGA people didn't bother to do this, so they need a different
> kernel distribution and can never take advantage of new features
> when they're added.

Yes, this is right and I was already thinking about. The simplest
way would be a lot of #ifdef's, but that would make the code really
ugly. We should talk to Linus if it's possible to separate the
CPU-dependent stuff into several files, so that the CPU decision
can be made by compiling and linking different files. I'm sure
this is not always possible, but at least for things like the kernel boot
code it should not make any problem (and is necessary there).

        Waldorf Electronics GmbH        | Phone:  +49 (0)2636-80294
              R&D Department            | Fax:    +49 (0)2636-80188
Neustrasse 9-12, 53498 Waldorf, Germany | email:  andy@resi.waldorf-gmbh.de