Re: Mips project Go or Wait?

To: riscy@pyramid.com
Subject: Re: Mips project Go or Wait?
From: Drew Eckhardt <drew@kinglear.cs.Colorado.EDU>
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 1993 21:35:43 -0600
Sender: owner-riscy@pyramid.com
    With a dumb frame buffer there will be very little work getting X11 going.
    There's already lots of support in the MIT code for 8 bit deep dumb
    frame buffers.  It'll just be a matter of reading the keyboard and mouse
    properly (I think - I could be completely wrong).

There's also 32 bit server code (from DEC) in the contrib hierchy.

    Libraries could be a challenge to port.  Not because its very difficult
    or machine dependant, but all kinds of correct decisions need to be made.
    For example, if I were to port linux to an 4000, should off_t etc be
    64 bit?  If so, should the library and compile environment have support
    for a 32 bit environment and a 64 bit one (by having the 32 bit syscall
    lib functions convert their args and returns to 64 bit).

Take a look at the various papers from Convex ('92 Winter USENIX proceedings),
BSD CSRG, etc. on supporting Big Files.