Re: Mips project Go or Wait?

To: riscy@pyramid.com
Subject: Re: Mips project Go or Wait?
From: Hannu.Savolainen@cs.Helsinki.FI (Hannu Savolainen)
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 93 21:37:39 EET DST
Sender: owner-riscy@pyramid.com
> Neil made the assumption that it will take a bit more than half a man-year
> to port the kernel and drivers. This depends on how many filesystems we will
> support. For me, ext2fs and the ISO fs would be enough.
> Everything else *should* compile out of the box, except the X11-server stuff.
> That sounds not too bad, isn't it ?
It should not be difficult to port the filesystems since they don't
access hardware. Also most of the SCSI driver code should be easy to
port since we have to write just a low level driver for one SCSI
chip/host adapter. If we have the ISA bus, porting the ISA device
drivers could be possible by just rewriting the inline assembler macros
used by the drivers. A well written device driver is not CPU dependent.
There could be some problems if the new CPU is big endian.

Hannu