Re: Mips project Go or Wait?

To: riscy@pyramid.com
Subject: Re: Mips project Go or Wait?
From: Andreas Busse <andy@resi.waldorf-gmbh.de>
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 93 16:45:47 +0200
Sender: owner-riscy@pyramid.com
> Hello,
>      I wanted to throw out some thoughs about this project and see what
> people thought.  It seems to me that two things are certain:
>
>       1) The price/performance ratio of RISC processors will only get
>          better in the future.

Correct. Although nobody can pay the latest developments.
Look at the R4000PC. Only *one* year ago it was around $2000,
now it's at about $600...

>       2) It will take a (fairly) long to design and debug this thing.

Don't know. This depends on how complete the NEC ARCset is. So far I
know solves it most of our problems. In case it is true that the
ARCset is a *complete* design, we would only have to make some
changes to satisfy the requirement of the group. Perhaps we have to
make no changes at all !

> I know that it would be difficult, but given the above, I believe that it
> would be good to try to predict how long it will take to design the board
> and its operating system, and to try to predict what the cost of the
> components
> will be at that time, and design on the basis of that.  I realize that this
> approach is full of risks, and would be difficult to do, but I am afraid that
> if this approach is not taken, the board my be obsolete by the time it is
> usable.

Neil made the assumption that it will take a bit more than half a man-year
to port the kernel and drivers. This depends on how many filesystems we will
support. For me, ext2fs and the ISO fs would be enough.
Everything else *should* compile out of the box, except the X11-server stuff.
That sounds not too bad, isn't it ?

I can't say how long it takes to make the hardware working, because it
depends on what we want.

        Waldorf Electronics GmbH        | Phone:  +49 (0)2636-80294
              R&D Department            | Fax:    +49 (0)2636-80188
Neustrasse 9-12, 53498 Waldorf, Germany | email:  andy@resi.waldorf-gmbh.de