Re: Mips project Go or Wait?

To: riscy@pyramid.com
Subject: Re: Mips project Go or Wait?
From: jlnance@eos.ncsu.edu
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 93 09:50:00 EDT
Posted-date: Wed, 04 Aug 93 09:50:00 EDT
Sender: owner-riscy@pyramid.com
Hello,
     I wanted to throw out some thoughs about this project and see what
people thought.  It seems to me that two things are certain:

        1) The price/performance ratio of RISC processors will only get
           better in the future.

        2) It will take a (fairly) long to design and debug this thing.

I know that it would be difficult, but given the above, I believe that it
would be good to try to predict how long it will take to design the board
and its operating system, and to try to predict what the cost of the components
will be at that time, and design on the basis of that.  I realize that this
approach is full of risks, and would be difficult to do, but I am afraid that
if this approach is not taken, the board my be obsolete by the time it is
usable.

Jim Nance