Re: Mips project Go or Wait?

To: riscy@pyramid.com
Subject: Re: Mips project Go or Wait?
From: Andreas Busse <andy@resi.waldorf-gmbh.de>
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 93 14:21:23 +0200
Sender: owner-riscy@pyramid.com
> >- R3081/R3041
> >- NEC R4200 and ARCset
> >- IDT Orion and ARCset
>
> My personal preference is IDT Orion, since
>
> 1) It is R4000PC pin compatible.
>
> 2) The price of Orion will be similar to NEC R4200, and R4000PC will
>    out perform R4200, can we deduce that Orion will out perform R4200?
>
> 3) Even point 2) may not hold, a superior upgrade path exists if we
>    use Orion, ie. replace the CPU on the to be made board by a R4000PC,
>    and get better (at least better than R4200) performance.  WITH THE
>    SAME PRICE (on CPU), why not opt for better upgrade path!

Ok, we *can* decide not to go with the R3081/3041 solution, but
we *cannot* decide now between R4200 and Orion, because we don't
know enough.
I would prefer the Orion too, but it won't be available until
end of the year. That means (I said that already), that only few
of us can start with the expensive R4000PC.

We should try tro decide between R3xxx and R4xxx solutions. If
we all agree over a R4xxx machine things will be clearer.
When we have enough information about the different flavours
of R4xxx CPUs we can decide which one to use.

Agreed ?

        Waldorf Electronics GmbH        | Phone:  +49 (0)2636-80294
              R&D Department            | Fax:    +49 (0)2636-80188
Neustrasse 9-12, 53498 Waldorf, Germany | email:  andy@resi.waldorf-gmbh.de