Re: Mips Chips from NEC

To: riscy@pyramid.com
Subject: Re: Mips Chips from NEC
From: Bill Broadley <broadley@neurocog.lrdc.pitt.edu>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 1993 11:35:45 -0500 (EDT)
Sender: owner-riscy@pyramid.com
> So far, so good. But there's one important thing, probably a great
> disadvantage for some of the group: The VRX has ***NO*** FPU !!!

As far as I'm concerned we shouldn't worry about implementation as
much as the benchmarks.   Whatever has the best price performance
sounds good to me.  Although the fact that a 4000 can be upgraded
to a 4400 sounds like a good advantage to me.

The 4200 is around 55/30 specint/specfp
    4000 is around 62/63
    4400 is around 94/105
    601 is around 50/80

Of the chips we have prices for (4[04]00SC and 4200) the 4200 sounds the most
attractive, but (PC) prices may make the 4000 much more attractive.

I think another critical issue is whether we go with the ARC 100/150
manufacturing kits.  If we do we can do 50 Mhz or higher, and have to use the
mips chip.

Powerpc seems to be in the running as far as price/performance and
running gcc+gas is concerned.

> Any comments ? Please - if we really want to make hardware
> instead of vapor-ware, wakeup, guys. Here's something to discuss.

The cost difference between a 4000PC and the 4200 is the only thing I need
to decide.

--
Bill                                    1st>    Broadley@neurocog.lrdc.pitt.edu
Broadley@schneider3.lrdc.pitt.edu <2nd  3rd>                 Broadley+@pitt.edu