Re: Mips Chips from NEC

To: riscy@pyramid.com
Subject: Re: Mips Chips from NEC
From: Amos Shapira <amoss@cs.huji.ac.il>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 1993 18:32:14 +0300
Sender: owner-riscy@pyramid.com
In message <9307291451.AA00405@resi.waldorf-gmbh.de> Andreas Busse writes:

 [ lots of info,  bottom line is that the R4200 doesn't have a FPU ]

|Any comments ? Please - if we really want to make hardware
|instead of vapor-ware, wakeup, guys. Here's something to discuss.

Ok,  so shall we take a vote or what?

I am not a hardware type but the R4200 seems to be enough for me it and it
eats 486/66 raw even as it is (here is the table again:

Vendor          Clock   Chip    Price   SPECint92       SPECfp92
unspecified     100     R4000SC 640     61.7            63.4
unspecified     150     R4400SC 1120    88(est)         97(est)
NEC             80      R4200   70      55              30
                                                        ^^
And, for comparison
Intel           66      486     542     32.2            16.1
                                                        ^^^^
Intel           66      Pentium 965     64.5            56.9
)

and the Pentium is out of the question price-wise as far as I'm concerned,
not to mention that going for it must mean waiting for another year at least.

Especially when you take the price/performance and at what price do we want
the system to end up with, I vote for the R4200 and let's go on with the rest
of the design.

Only one question (not that it is going to change my view): you mention
a possibility of a separate FPU.  Is it possible to leave space for a socket
for it a-la the 386/387 combo?  (again,  I'm not a hardware type so please
bear with me if this is a stupid question).

I hope I'm doing the right thing but I propose that others on the list who
kept quite so far (like me) and followed the discussion for the last couple
of weeks will let us all know what they think (is there an echo out here ? :).

Maybe the "core" of this list should appruve of this before things get out
of hand, ok?

|Cheers,
|Andy

|------------------------------------------------------------------------------
|-
|        Waldorf Electronics GmbH        | Phone:  +49 (0)2636-80294
|              R&D Department            | Fax:    +49 (0)2636-80188
|Neustrasse 9-12, 53498 Waldorf, Germany | email:  andy@resi.waldorf-gmbh.de
|-

Bye,

--Amos

--Amos Shapira (Jumper Extraordinaire) |  "It is true that power corrupts,
C.S. System Group, Hebrew University,  |   but absolute power is better!"
Jerusalem 91904, ISRAEL                |
amoss@cs.huji.ac.il                    |          -- the Demon to his son