Re: Mips Chips from NEC

To: riscy@pyramid.com
Subject: Re: Mips Chips from NEC
From: Drew Eckhardt <drew@nag.cs.Colorado.EDU>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1993 02:05:43 -0600
Sender: owner-riscy@pyramid.com

    Yes, and the main difference between the R4200 and the other R4x00 CPUs
    are that is *not* pincompatibel, that it has the old R3000 pipeline and
    a simpler FPU. Note: This is what I've heard. I will receive data sheets
    this week. Perhaps things have changed...

    However, if the R4200 is no real R4x00 CPU I would suggest to use
    one of the others, even if it is more expensive at the moment.

    Are we going to build a R4000 machine now ? I would appreciate this !

Prices and performance
Notes :
1.  Quantities were unspecified, in any case these prices are for
        more chips than we're looking to buy, and for small lots the
        distributor sets the price.

2.  All prices in US Dollars

3.  The figures for everything but the 4200 are from the July OEM magazine,
        I don't know where the 4200 info originated, but several net.sources
        said the same things.

4.  Clock speed is in Mhz, obviously these things run the internal clock
        faster than external.

Vendor          Clock   Chip    Price   SPECint92       SPECfp92
unspecified     100     R4000SC 640     61.7            63.4
unspecified     150     R4400SC 1120    88(est)         97(est)
NEC             80      R4200   70      55              30

And, for comparison
Intel           66      486     542     32.2            16.1
Intel           66      Pentium 965     64.5            56.9

Unquestionably, the R4200 gives the best price/performance of
any of these chips.

After we adpoted the motherboard idea and people started calling this
thing a "workstation", a target price of $600-$700 was set.  It might
be a little difficult to meet a price somewhere in that neighborhood
if we end up using a $640 chip...