Mips on vesa

To: riscy@pyramid.com (Mips 3000)
Subject: Mips on vesa
From: Bill Broadley <broadley@neurocog.lrdc.pitt.edu>
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 1993 04:36:15 -0500 (EDT)
Sender: owner-riscy@pyramid.com
The original mips design seemed to be basically mips+simm slots on ISA bus and
seems to have been dropped because of ISA limitations and board space.

(see previous msg about the commercial version for mips 4k on VESA for $1750)

How about one simpler.  Just a mips chip (whatever we can afford)+cache
on a vesa card.  As I understand it VESA is basically the pc memory bus.

Running on the VESA bus at 25-33 Mhz will give you 100-128 MB/sec bandwdith
to memory, this makes a local cache important but seems workable.

Everything would be reused.  People could buy the ISE/VESA card of there choice.
A 486/25 sx is $215 or so would be used as a host.

--
Bill                                    1st>    Broadley@neurocog.lrdc.pitt.edu
Broadley@schneider3.lrdc.pitt.edu <2nd  3rd>                 Broadley+@pitt.edu