Re: NEC ARC chip set info

To: riscy@pyramid.com
Subject: Re: NEC ARC chip set info
From: caret@pyramid.com (Neil Russell)
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 93 15:11:47 PDT
Sender: owner-riscy@pyramid.com
> I got more info for NEC ARC100/150 chip set. I called a NEC tech people,
> they said the schematic and Gerber are pretty free, all they wanted
> is to sell their hardware, the design is one that they have tried and worked
> the firwares are from MIPS, so they don't really know. they provide almost
> no support, since they know the chip set works... all software support
> are from MIPS or third party. ARC chip set+Vr4400 are $100/set at 10K quantity
> the real cost for small (10-100) quantities are determined by distributor. ARC
> manufacturing kits cost $5000.
>
> So...?

My understanding is that a r4k of any sort cannot be had for less than
us$700 in 100 quantities at the moment.  If this is not the case, then
what you are suggesting becomes a real option!  Can you give prices for
the parts that we need to construct the core of the system (CPU + peripheral
controllers) in quantities of 100.

--
Neil Russell            (The wizard from OZ)
Pyramid Technology                      Email:  caret@pyramid.com