NEC ARC chip set info

To: riscy@pyramid.com
Subject: NEC ARC chip set info
From: Youda He <yhe@eecs.umich.edu>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 93 16:57:16 EDT
Sender: owner-riscy@pyramid.com
I got more info for NEC ARC100/150 chip set. I called a NEC tech people,
they said the schematic and Gerber are pretty free, all they wanted
is to sell their hardware, the design is one that they have tried and worked
the firwares are from MIPS, so they don't really know. they provide almost
no support, since they know the chip set works... all software support
are from MIPS or third party. ARC chip set+Vr4400 are $100/set at 10K quantity
the real cost for small (10-100) quantities are determined by distributor. ARC
manufacturing kits cost $5000.

So...?

-- Youda