Re: NEC Vr4400 and ARC manufacturing kits

To: riscy@pyramid.com
Subject: Re: NEC Vr4400 and ARC manufacturing kits
From: Youda He <yhe@eecs.umich.edu>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 93 11:51:32 EDT
Sender: owner-riscy@pyramid.com
> > > How do you feel about this board?
> > >
> > > -- Youda
> > >
> > Sounds great.  Please post any/all info you get.
> >
> > Maybe we could get a discount for just one of the motherboard designs.
> The five designs would seem to be the MB, Ethernet, serial, etc.  I'm
> kind of interested in the other designs also.
The five designs includes 3 mother boards: Vr4000/4400PC, Vr4000/4400SC and
VR4400MC motherboards, it sounds like NEC/MIPS really want this thing
get to end users hand. they also have 4200, low cost, low power part.
from their flyer, they seems also have 3600A, with FPU.

> In about 6 - 9 months, IDT release the Orion chip, which is a pin compatible
> replacement for the R4000PC which should cost less than $200 in small to
> medium quantities.  This adds weight to my argument for us pause this project
> for about 6 months.
> Don't forget though, that you automatically need twice the RAM, because this
> is a 64-bit CPU.  (That is unless there is bus sizing logic on the board.)
> --
> Neil Russell          (The wizard from OZ)
> Pyramid Technology                    Email:  caret@pyramid.com
> 3860 N. First Street                  Voice:  (408) 428-7302
> San Jose, CA 95134-1702                         FAX:  (408) 428-8845
With kits like NECs and I guess other company will join, there may be more
than one start up company want to make MIPS based computer, since NEC will
  .. And coming soon is an ACER designed, NEC manufactured PICA (performance-
enhanced IO and CPU Architecture) chip set which will offer another high-
performance solution... coupled with ACER's manufacturing kit, provides an
optional complete system solution....

-- Youda