Re: NEC Vr4400 and ARC manufacturing kits

To: riscy@pyramid.com
Subject: Re: NEC Vr4400 and ARC manufacturing kits
From: Youda He <yhe@eecs.umich.edu>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 93 11:51:32 EDT
Sender: owner-riscy@pyramid.com

> > > How do you feel about this board?
> > >
> > > -- Youda
> > >
> > Sounds great.  Please post any/all info you get.
> >
> > Maybe we could get a discount for just one of the motherboard designs.
>
> The five designs would seem to be the MB, Ethernet, serial, etc.  I'm
> kind of interested in the other designs also.

The five designs includes 3 mother boards: Vr4000/4400PC, Vr4000/4400SC and
VR4400MC motherboards, it sounds like NEC/MIPS really want this thing
get to end users hand. they also have 4200, low cost, low power part.
from their flyer, they seems also have 3600A, with FPU.

> In about 6 - 9 months, IDT release the Orion chip, which is a pin compatible
> replacement for the R4000PC which should cost less than $200 in small to
> medium quantities.  This adds weight to my argument for us pause this project
> for about 6 months.
>
> Don't forget though, that you automatically need twice the RAM, because this
> is a 64-bit CPU.  (That is unless there is bus sizing logic on the board.)
>
> --
> Neil Russell          (The wizard from OZ)
> Pyramid Technology                    Email:  caret@pyramid.com
> 3860 N. First Street                  Voice:  (408) 428-7302
> San Jose, CA 95134-1702                         FAX:  (408) 428-8845

With kits like NECs and I guess other company will join, there may be more
than one start up company want to make MIPS based computer, since NEC will
have:
  .. And coming soon is an ACER designed, NEC manufactured PICA (performance-
enhanced IO and CPU Architecture) chip set which will offer another high-
performance solution... coupled with ACER's manufacturing kit, provides an
optional complete system solution....

-- Youda