Re: 3081+3730 worth it?

To: riscy@pyramid.com
Subject: Re: 3081+3730 worth it?
From: Bill Broadley <broadley@neurocog.lrdc.pitt.edu>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1993 14:55:30 -0500 (EDT)
Sender: owner-riscy@pyramid.com
> A raw R3000/3010 requires several carefully timed clock inputs. One of the
> BIG advantages of one of the second generation chips, like the R3051/3081
> is that all the grotty clock generation is on chip, and the chip takes a
> simple, single-phase clock input. I've heard that MIPS had trouble building
> R3000 based systems at >25MHz; there's no way I'd try to do a 40MHz system.
> Of course, some of the folks on this list may be more macho than I.

I wasn't familiar with the design problems of the mips 3000.

How hard would it be to just replace the 3730?? So we save $130 and can
use the 36 bit simms.  I would think the 24 k cache would make the
interleaved memory even more important.

> The only way I can believe this project might really fly is to stick with
> easy to use parts and keep the design simple. Otherwise it will never get
> done.
I agree I think the ide+floppy+uarts+parallel+game should go on the ISA.

--
Bill                                    1st>    Broadley@neurocog.lrdc.pitt.edu
Broadley@schneider3.lrdc.pitt.edu <2nd  3rd>                 Broadley+@pitt.edu